United States, 3rd Dec 2023, King NewsWire – The holiday season is a time of joy, family gatherings, and often, travel. Whether you’re visiting loved ones or embarking on a well-deserved vacation, safeguarding your home while you’re away is of utmost importance. While statistics show that there isn’t a significant increase in burglaries during the holiday season, the value of stolen items tends to be higher in December compared to other months. Protecting your home from potential threats, be it burglaries, accidents, or weather-related issues, is essential for peace of mind during your holiday travels. In this article, we’ll delve into valuable tips to keep your house safe while you’re away for the holidays.
- Secure All Entry Points The initial step in fortifying your home’s security is to ensure that all doors and windows are securely locked. While this may seem like a basic precaution, it remains one of the most effective ways to deter potential intruders. Be thorough in your checks, including sliding doors, basement windows, and the garage. Consider upgrading security with deadbolts and reinforced locks for sliding doors.
- Invest in a Comprehensive Security System A home security system can serve as a formidable deterrent to burglars and provide you with real-time monitoring and alerts. Modern systems often allow remote access to cameras and sensors via your smartphone. Alternatively, you can opt for professional monitoring services that dispatch assistance in case of emergencies.
- Enlist the Help of a Trusted Neighbor or Friend Inform a reliable neighbor or friend about your travel plans. Request their assistance in keeping an eye on your property, collecting mail and packages, and promptly reporting any suspicious activities. This exchange can also serve as an opportunity to share emergency contact information, ensuring swift response in case of any issues.
- Safeguard Valuables Secure valuable items like jewelry, important documents, and electronics in a well-protected safe. If you don’t have one, consider renting a secure safe or using a safety deposit box at a local bank. Creating a detailed inventory of your valuables and keeping a copy in a separate, secure location is a prudent measure.
- Adjust Your Home’s Thermostat During winter travel, set your thermostat to a lower temperature to conserve energy but avoid turning it off entirely. An excessively low temperature can lead to frozen pipes and potential damage.
- Leverage Smart Home Technology Smart home technology can significantly bolster your home’s security. Install smart locks, doorbell cameras, and smart lighting systems that can simulate the typical patterns of an occupied home. These devices enable remote monitoring and send alerts if any suspicious activity is detected.
- Exercise Caution with Social Media Refrain from broadcasting your absence on social media platforms until after you’ve returned. Sharing your travel plans publicly can inadvertently signal to potential burglars that your home is unoccupied.
Protecting your home during holiday travel need not be a source of stress. By implementing these straightforward precautions and investing in security measures, you can enjoy your travels with peace of mind, knowing that your home is safe and secure.
Follow us on:
Organization: Silverman + Associates Financial Planning
Contact Person: Mark Silverman, Tucson Financial Planner
Email: Send Email
Country: United States
Release Id: 0312238136
The post Ensuring the Safety of Your Home During Holiday Travel appeared first on King NewsWire. It is provided by a third-party content provider. King Newswire makes no warranties or representations in connection with it.
Disclaimer: The views, suggestions, and opinions expressed here are the sole responsibility of the experts. No Top Markets News journalist was involved in the writing and production of this article.